I had some short stories, poems and photographs to share ... and so here I am

Our Very Own Mont Blanc

 
(Click on images to enlarge them).


What is it about high mountains and our crazy desire to get to the very top, no matter what?

Why is it that we're often blind to the valleys and mountains below, which are far less dangerous and require far less effort? I took the above photo of Mont Blanc during a weekend ski trip to La Plagne - thundering over the French Alps at a height of 4807 metres, this is Europe's largest mountain. For many writers, getting a publishing contract is their very own Mont Blanc in the distance. Nothing will ever put them off the relentless, gruelling push to reach that peak.

I also fall into this category, I suppose, but I do try to remind myself that we must also try to enjoy what's around the feet of that great mountain. There is fun to be had! The smaller mountains nearby are just as grand, just as gorgeous, and we shouldn't dismiss them out of hand. The journey is often better than the arrival! Also, if we never reach that glorious peak, and there's a mighty big chance we won't, then at least we've had a blast on the way.

We can keep our sights on our Mont Blanc, but we shouldn't become so obsessed that we see nothing else. Let's put on our skis and let ourselves glide off. There is so much else to experience and see. Breathe. Breathe. Breathe. Some of us may just find that on the summits of those smaller mountains, and among lots of other undiscovered valleys, we find all the pleasure and satisfaction we need.

This is what I tell myself: keep on towards Mont Blanc, but don't go getting lost in a blizzard.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shameless,
Terrific pics!
Where did you go to ski?
I thought this post to be a really clever one - the way you injected metaphors into it to offer a powerful lesson for dreams. And so subtly put!

I'm really enjoying my dreams but I am taking my time. More caution first. Analyse the options. And visualation as you said to Debi is all-important. It keeps the excitement going.
I think meeting writers like yourself on the blog, has added to the bliss.

My thought would be that as long as there's no room for bitterness or cynicsm (ie. blizzard), the heart will afford to be merry and hang on to the lamplight.

Truly, a lovely post today. :-)

Anonymous said...

Shameless: You always seem to post beautiful pictures of places I've never been. I burn green sometimes when I come here.

S. Kearney said...

Thanks Susan,
La Plagne is one of the popular ski resorts in the French Alps, on the Italian-French border. We take about two hours to get to the slopes from our place here in Lyon. Winter needn't be gloomy!
By the way, I love the "hanging on to the lamplight" idea. :)

Moon,
Sorry if the photos turn you green! :)
I'm sure you have photos of your side of the frisbee that would make me green too!
Ah, there's nothing like dreaming about foreign places. :)

Anonymous said...

The wisdom of the shameless is an awesome thing ... This is lovely!

S. Kearney said...

Thanks Debi,
Sometimes messages for ourselves can be good for others too. I thought of this as I was risking my life at high speed, forgetting for just a moment how one brakes when skiing!

unarex said...

Ah beautiful Mont Blanc. Haven't been, but have read about it. The great mountaineering legend Walter Bonatti used to live near there when he was young. Perilous places really lure- so much that it's easy to forget they can cause one to perish.

(I'm not trying to sound morbid but I do daydream about mountains quite a bit because outside my windows it's all flat).

I think I'd like to borrow that picture, if that's ok with you.

S. Kearney said...

Jessica,
Please feel free to borrow the picture. :) T

There is something very magical about being up close to Mont Blanc, near Chamonix. The closest I've got to the top is going up the cable car to the Aiguille du Midi platform that sits at about 3840 metres, opposite the summit! I've been up a few times now and each time was terrific!

unarex said...

There is now snow on my blog.

Merci.

XOXO

S. Kearney said...

Jessica,
You're very welcome.

Your poem is glorious. I absolutely loved it. I was right there on the mountain!

unarex said...

Merci (deux).