I had some short stories, poems and photographs to share ... and so here I am

A Pause For A Poem

 

an irritable man

he was all 50s dapper back then
a cigarette in tender fingers
gel shining under navy lights
stolen weekends
cheeky dancing
hooting conversation
such a splendid sea of many possibilities

but 50 years have made him weary
the colours of bonhomie scraped off
persistent dreams all but wilted
searing disappointment
stinging regrets
mishandled guilt
no wonder he dissolved into an irritable man

she's remained beside him though
immune to the habit of grumpiness
anchored by the truth of appearances
indefatigable brightness
busy handiwork
cemented loyalty
impossible to even imagine anything different

life's edges are sandpapered off
few demands on empty cupboards
no surprises or risk of falling
daily tasks
important order
solid companions
they have a new take on universal happiness

they do hold each other sometimes
glowing about how it used to be
allowing themselves an indulgence
complex complicity
safe autonomy
easy understanding
never a need to wonder if their love will last


© Copyright, 2006. Shameless Words

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done Shameless.

S. Kearney said...

Thanks, Minx. Is the photo anonymous enough do you think, just in case - one in a million - that the couple ever tune into my blog? I did wonder when I took the snap.

Anonymous said...

I'm on hols from work this week and, hankering for the sea, I drove 70 miles to Llandudno. Though sunny and warm, initially I found it depressing, as there appeared to be very few folk around younger than 60-ish. But sitting on a bench for a while, people-watching, I witnessed one elderly couple after another walking the prom: slowly, sometimes with difficulty, but hand in hand. Still together, after God knows how many years. These people are survivors!

Shameless, did you ever get to interview Paul Auster? Or is that still pending?

S. Kearney said...

I've always been fascinated by unlikely elderly couples - their "clicking" is something I feel we have lost.
I leave for New York next week, and I shall let you know how things go. I'm just hoping the weather holds together!