I had some short stories, poems and photographs to share ... and so here I am

Don't Write A Good Book!


CLICK ON THE PHOTO TO MAKE IT BIGGER, SO YOU CAN READ THE WORDS!

What are people like? I took this photo in London last weekend, wondering why it is that we love doing what we are told not to do! I hasten to add that it wasn't me who gave these hungry blighters the bread. I just stumbled across the scene and snapped the picture!

In many areas of our lives, we probably do the same. We are told not to do this, not to do that. There is something healthy I think in the odd bit of disobedience - I hope the above act wasn't too unhealthy for the pigeons, however.

Writers are a bit like this, aren't we? I used to love going to writing classes, to be told that authors shouldn't do this and shouldn't do that. To hell with that, I thought. The logical rules, yes, but not the ones obviously open to much debate.

So, don't write a good book and don't write it well. There! That'll get you all tied up in knots!

6 comments:

Peter Rozovsky said...

Don't write what you know!

===================
Detectives Without Borders
"Because Murder is More Fun Away from Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

S. Kearney said...

Yes, that's always been a clumsy rule for me. Why the hell not? If it works! The other one that baffled me was "if a character only appears for one or two pages, don't give them a name".

Isabel Da Rocha said...

We're not suppose to be great, not even good. With greatness comes truth.

And you already know...People don't trust in anything that's true.

Debi said...

Rules? Humbug ...

Though to balance the anarchy with a bit of pedantry I should say I think the pigeon one is related to human health, not avian ...

Peter Rozovsky said...

"Catarina Morgado said...
...People don't trust in anything that's true."

Yup, that's true.
===================
Detectives Without Borders
"Because Murder is More Fun Away from Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

S. Kearney said...

What a jam we would get into!