I had some short stories, poems and photographs to share ... and so here I am

Visiting Steinbeck

In July, 2005, I visited Salinas in California, the hometown of John Steinbeck. Here I saw the house he grew up in (above), as well as the National Steinbeck Centre. It was a thrill to buy a few of his books here and to have them marked with the museum's official stamp.

It was fascinating to learn more about his life and to read how he wasn't held in high esteem by many of his own people, with accusations that he was against the landowners and keen to write up a storm. The centre built in his name is not all that old.

I also made a tour of the famous Hearst Castle at San Simeon, which is briefly referred to in Steinbeck's book The Grapes of Wrath. The pool in the castle grounds (below) is out of this world.

Of course we also visited Monterey and "Cannery Row"!

No comments: